Many visitors come to Niagara-on-the-Lake for a wine tour, the Shaw Theatre or as guests for one of the hundreds of weddings that take place in our small town.
If you've never been here or want to come back, let me fill you in little on
what you're missing!
Niagara-on-the-Lake or NOTL as the locals call it, is located along the Niagara River at the mouth of Lake Ontario. Located within the Greater Golden Horseshoe, along the QEW and the U.S.A – Canada border.
There are five main settlement areas: Old Town, Queenstown, Virgil, St. David’s and Glendale.
The region is best known for its historic heritage, natural beauty and as one of the best tender fruit and grape growing regions in Canada.
There are less than 20,000 residents in the area however during the year, Niagara-on-the-Lake gets about 3 million visitors. As a result, the tourist industry flourishes as does the Vacation Rental homes (like ours) and the Bed & Breakfast industry and the few but pricey hotels in the town.
Festivals and events
Niagara-on-the-Lake has a number of exciting festivals and events throughout the year that entertain residents and tourists from all around the world. Whether focused on agriculture and local food, arts and culture, history and heritage, or just enjoying the sights and sounds of Old Town, it can all be found right here: The Shaw Festival, Music Niagara, Winterglow, the Strawberry Festival and the Peach Festival. The Wineries of Niagara-on-the-Lake help organize festivals, passports events and themed events such as The Niagara Icewine Festival, Days of Wine & Chocolate, The New Vintage Festival, Sip & Sizzle and so much more
The most popular recreational activity for people of all ages is quality cycling on the Greater Niagara Circle Route. Bring your own bike or there are several bike rental places nearby, as well as e-scoot.
Golf is another strong attraction within the area as Niagara-on-the-Lake is home to North America’s oldest golf course, the Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club, as well at a course with international standing in the Royal Niagara Golf Club. The 9 hole course is challenging and affordable at just $35.00 per round.
As a natural peninsula surrounded by two Great Lakes, Niagara features an extensive system of rivers and lakes that also make it a great area for sport fishing and boating opportunities.
Another important feature is the Centennial Sports park which has three lit ball diamonds, a pavilion, a skate board park (available from dawn to dusk), four mini soccer fields, two lit asphalt tennis courts, playground equipment, concession and washrooms. Two arenas are also located within the Sports park: the Centennial Arena and the Meridian Credit Union Arena, where hockey thrives from September to April and lacrosse during the summer.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Course, on the banks of Lake Ontario
A LITTLE HISTORY (from www.niagarafallstourism.com)
Niagara-on-the-Lake was originally known as Butlersburg, in honour of Colonel John Butler, the commander of Butler’s Rangers.
The Town received an official status in 1781 when it became known as Newark, a British military site and haven for British loyalists fleeing the United States in the volatile aftermath of the American Revolution. Later, it changed names again, this time to Niagara.
Niagara was named the first capitol of Upper Canada (now the province of Ontario), and the first provincial parliament was convened at Navy Hall in 1792 by Lieutenant-Govenor John Graves Simcoe.
During the War of 1812, the capitol was moved to York (later to be renamed as Toronto) so as to be farther from the areas of combat.
The Town played a central part in the War or 1812. It was taken by American forces after a two day bombardment by cannons from Fort Niagara and the American Fleet, followed by a bloody battle.
Later in the war the Town was razed and burnt to the ground by American soldiers as they withdrew to Fort Niagara. Undaunted by this setback, the citizens rebuilt the Town after the War, with the residential quarter around Queen Street and toward King Street, where the new Court House was rebuilt out of firing range of the cannons of Fort Niagara.